Michael Symon's Chocolate Caramel Peanut Bars with Popcorn Gelato
- For the Caramel Candy Bars:
- 8 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate (melted)
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream (room temperature)
- 6 ounces White Chocolate Chips (roughly chopped)
- pinch Salt
- 1 cup Peanuts (salted and roughly chopped)
- Sea Salt to sprinkle
For the Popcorn Gelato:
- 3 cups Heavy Cream (plus extra if needed)
- 1 1/4 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 10 cups Freshly Popped Popcorn
- 4 Egg Yolks
- For the Caramel Candy Bars: Grease a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and line it with parchment. Grease the lined pan with a coating of non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave. Pour half of the chocolate mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with a spatula. Place the pan in the freezer to set while preparing the caramel layer.
- Combine the sugar and water in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium-high. Stir gently until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and avoid stirring until the sugar reaches a deep golden color.
- Remove from heat and pour in the cream. Once the mixture has stopped bubbling stir in the nuts, white chocolate, and pinch of salt. Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the caramel sauce over the chocolate. Place the pan into the fridge and allow to set up for an hour.
- Heat the remaining chocolate until melted. Remove the pan from the fridge and pour the final layer of chocolate on top. Sprinkle with sea salt and return to the fridge to set for 20 minutes.
- Remove the set mixture from the loaf pan and cut into 28 candy bars. Store in the fridge for up to a week. Serve candy bars with Popcorn Gelato.
- For the Popcorn Gelato: Combine the cream, milk, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Place the popcorn in an extra large bowl and pour the milk mixture over the popcorn. Allow to steep for 45 minutes. Strain the mixture and discard the popcorn. Transfer the milk mixture to a large sauce pot.
- Combine the remaining sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk until tripled in volume and pale yellow.
- Heat the milk mixture over medium. Slowly pour 1/3 of the milk into the eggs while whisking. Once combined, pour into the pot, whisking to combine. Cook gently while stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Strain mixture into a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Using your ice cream maker, follow the machine instructions to churn the popcorn cream and freeze until ready to serve.
Similar categories: Desserts