Cocoa Rose Chicken
Mario Batali's Chocolate Chicken with Rose Petals
- 6 Chicken Thighs (bone-in; skin-on)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Flake
- 1 tablespoon Bitter Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1/3 cup Currants
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Lime (juice)
- 1 Organic Rose (petals plucked; julienned)
- 1/4 cup Hazelnuts (toasted and chopped)
- 3 Jalapenos (finely diced)
- 1 block of Dark Chocolate (for grating)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Place a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear the thighs on the skin side until golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. After 4 to 5 minutes, add the chili flake and cocoa powder. Toss in the currants.
- Deglaze with the wine and let reduce by half, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock. Bring up to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is fork tender.
- Once off the heat, squeeze in the lime juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Platter the chicken and garnish with rose fresh petals and the chopped hazelnuts and jalapenos. Grate fresh chocolate over the platter and serve.
Similar categories: Dinner