Luscious Chocolate Mousse
Carla Hall's Chocolate Mousse
- 4 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons Strong Coffee or Espresso
- 2 Large Eggs (separated)
- 1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 6 tablespoons Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Almond Liqueur
- Toasted Sliced Almonds (to garnish)
- Chocolate Shavings for garnish
- Whipped Cream for garnish
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate, butter, and espresso. Mix in the egg yolks, and then the almond liqueur. Cover, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy, then gradually add two tablespoons of sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form, yet the whites are still glossy and not dry. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the heavy cream, remaining sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Mix a few spoonfuls of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture, and then gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined. Fold in half of the whipped cream.
- Serve with the remaining whipped cream and toasted almonds and chocolate shavings for garnish. Can be made a day ahead and chilled in the fridge.
Similar categories: Desserts