Chorizo and Egg Tacos
Dress up breakfast tacos with spicy Mexican sausage.
- step-by-step directions
Chorizo and Egg Tacos
- 1 pound Mexican Chorizo
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Jalapeno (sliced)
- 5 Tomatillos (husked and rinsed)
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 2 Limes (juice and zest) plus additional Lime Wedges to garnish
- 1/4-1/2 cup Water
- 5 Scallions (sliced)
- 12 Corn Tortillas (warmed)
- 1/2 cup Pepper Jack Cheese (grated)
- Hot Sauce to serve
- Render the chorizo in a large saute pan, beginning over low heat, gradually increasing to medium high. Cook until chorizo is crispy and brown. Scramble the eggs in a bowl and then stir into the chorizo. Stir for one minute and then remove form heat to finish cooking.
- In a blender, combine the jalapeno, tomatillos, half of the cilantro, lime zest and juice, a pinch of salt, and water. Blend on high until it's a rough puree. Check and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Warm the tortillas in a dry skillet. Top with a small handful of cheese and allow to melt. Assemble tacos with chorizo, eggs, scallions, cilantro and salsa. Garnish with a squeeze of lime and hot sauce.
1. Chorizo is a smoky Mexican or Spanish sausage. Mexican chorizo is fresh and must be cooked like sausage. Spanish chorizo is typically cured like salami and can be consumed without cooking it.
2. If you get eggshell in your bowl while cracking your eggs, use half of the cracked shell to scoop it out!
3. Tomatillos are green, husked tomatoes. If you can’t find these at your grocery store, you can use regular tomatoes instead. You can chop the tomatillos and use them raw or they can be cooked before you incorporate them into the dish.
4. To extract the most juice from your lime, first roll it on your counter while applying pressure, and then cut and squeeze.
5. In order to avoid injury while chopping your scallions, form a claw with your hand over the scallions to hold them in place and guide the side of the knife with your knuckles.
6. You can substitute other cheeses like cheddar or cotija, which is a hard Mexican cow’s milk cheese.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bark
Shrimp with Sherry Cream Sauce
Bone Broth Lentil Soup
Asian Chicken Meatball Sub
Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
Braised Pork Chilaquiles
Autumn Pinata Cake
Bundt Pan Lasagna
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Gremolata
Fall Harvest Hungarian Goulash
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions