Save time in the mornings and assemble this savory one-dish breakfast the day before.
Chorizo and Manchego Strata
- 8 cups crusty Sourdough Bread
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 1 pound Spanish Chorizo (medium dice)
- 2 Garlic cloves (sliced)
- 12 Eggs (whisked)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Half and Half
- 1 tablespoon Red Chili Flakes
- 2 cups Manchego Cheese (shredded)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tomatillo Salsa
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes, and set aside.
- In a large saute pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Lower heat to medium and add chorizo. After 2 minutes add garlic and cook just until fragrant then set aside off the heat.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, chili flakes, 1 1/2 cups cheese and season with salt and pepper. Add the bread and chorizo mixture to the eggs and toss to coat. Press down firmly. Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes uncovered. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Grate remaining cheese over the top before serving. Serve with a dollop of salsa verde.