Grapefruit and Lemon Crostata
- step-by-step directions
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (plus more for dusting)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 lemon (zest)
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1/4 cup ice water (plus more if needed)
- 2 large pink grapefruit
- 5 Meyer lemons
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sour cream to (garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 365ºF.
- For the Crostata Dough: Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest in a food processor. Add the butter and zap quickly until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and zap until the dough just forms a ball without being too wet or sticky.
- Remove dough from the processor and pat it into a flat disk, about 2 inches thick. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For the Marmalade: Cut the fruit in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut each grapefruit into 4 pieces. Place the seeds in a cheesecloth and tie up.
- Slice the fruit into thin slices (skin included). Combine the fruit, sugar, water, and salt in a heavy-bottomed pot with the cheesecloth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a very gentle simmer, skimming off foam occasionally, until the fruit is soft and translucent and the consistency of a loose jam.
- Remove from heat. Discard the cheesecloth and seeds. Let it cool completely.
- When ready to form the crostata, remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to soften enough to roll out. Sprinkle your work surface and a rolling pin lightly with cake flour.
- Roll the dough out into a large circle, about 1/4-inch thick. If the dough tears, press the edges back together.
- Spoon the marmalade into the dough. Fold in the edges of the dough, leaving a 6-inch area of fruit exposed in the center.
- Brush the tart with the liquid from the marmalade. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the crostata is golden brown. Serve the crostata warm or at room temperature, with a dollop sour cream on each serving.
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal