Grapefruit and Lemon Crostata
- step-by-step directions
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (plus more for dusting)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 lemon (zest)
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1/4 cup ice water (plus more if needed)
- 2 large pink grapefruit
- 5 Meyer lemons
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sour cream to (garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 365ºF.
- For the Crostata Dough: Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest in a food processor. Add the butter and zap quickly until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and zap until the dough just forms a ball without being too wet or sticky.
- Remove dough from the processor and pat it into a flat disk, about 2 inches thick. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For the Marmalade: Cut the fruit in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut each grapefruit into 4 pieces. Place the seeds in a cheesecloth and tie up.
- Slice the fruit into thin slices (skin included). Combine the fruit, sugar, water, and salt in a heavy-bottomed pot with the cheesecloth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a very gentle simmer, skimming off foam occasionally, until the fruit is soft and translucent and the consistency of a loose jam.
- Remove from heat. Discard the cheesecloth and seeds. Let it cool completely.
- When ready to form the crostata, remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to soften enough to roll out. Sprinkle your work surface and a rolling pin lightly with cake flour.
- Roll the dough out into a large circle, about 1/4-inch thick. If the dough tears, press the edges back together.
- Spoon the marmalade into the dough. Fold in the edges of the dough, leaving a 6-inch area of fruit exposed in the center.
- Brush the tart with the liquid from the marmalade. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the crostata is golden brown. Serve the crostata warm or at room temperature, with a dollop sour cream on each serving.
Lemon-Sage Compound Butter
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce
Grilled Veggie Burrito with Quinoa
Kale Pesto Naan Pizza
Almond Banana Bread
Carrot Ginger Soup
Shrimp and Plantains in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Energy Date Balls
Leftover Salmon Pumpernickel Toast
Mini Cherry Pies with Red Plum Jam