Lemony Cookies with Raspberry Filling
Angela Lighty's Citrus Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
- For the Dry:
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
For the Wet:
- 2 1/4 sticks Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 teaspoons Orange Zest
For the Raspberry Filling:
- 2 pints Fresh or Frozen Raspberries
- zest and juice of 1 Lemon
- zest and juice of 1 Orange
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- pinch Salt
- Chocolate (for dipping)
- Powdered Sugar (for sprinkling)
- For the Dry: Preheat oven 350 degrees F. In large bowl combine dry and whisk together until thoroughly blended.
- For the Wet: Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment start beating butter on low speed. Once fluffy, add the vanilla and zest and blend a bit more. Add dry ingredients to butter - 1/2 of the dry at a time.
- Form dough into disk and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness, and use a 2-inch scalloped cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Use a 1/2-inch star cookie cutter to cut out a window in the center of half of the cookies. Transfer to cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, segregating the cookies with windows to separate sheet trays, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on pan for 10 then move to rack cool completely. Dip only the cookies with windows halfway into the melted chocolate. Transfer to a sheet of parchment paper and allow to set. Use a piece of parchment to cover the chocolate and dust all of the cookies with powdered sugar.
- Spread a teaspoon of filling onto the solid cookies halves. Sandwich together with a cookie half with a window.
- For the Raspberry Filling: In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and simmer over medium heat until thickened.
- Microwave chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until completely melted.
Similar categories: Appetizers, Starters & Snacks