Lemony Cookies with Raspberry Filling
Citrus Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 pints fresh or frozen R=raspberries
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- melted chocolate (for dipping)
- powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- For the Dry Ingredients: Preheat oven 350 degrees F. In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk together until thoroughly blended.
- For the Wet Ingredients: Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, start beating butter on low speed. Once fluffy, add the vanilla and zest, and blend a bit more to combine. Add half of the dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix to combine on low speed. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Form dough into disk and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness, and use a 2-inch scalloped cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Use a 1/2-inch star cookie cutter to cut out a window in the center of half of the cookies. Transfer to cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, segregating the cookies with windows to separate sheet trays, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on pan for 10 then move to rack cool completely. Dip only the cookies with windows halfway into the melted chocolate. Transfer to a sheet of parchment paper and allow to set. Use a piece of parchment to cover the chocolate and dust all of the cookies with powdered sugar.
- Spread a teaspoon of filling onto the solid cookies halves. Sandwich together with a cookie half with a window.
- For the Raspberry Filling: In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and simmer over medium heat until thickened.
- Microwave chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until completely melted.