Moist, dense cake is blanketed by a generous coating of whipped cream cheese frosting.
Classic Carrot Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots (packed)
- 3 large eggs (whisked)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup walnuts (roughly chopped, plus more for garnish)
- 3/4 cup golden raisins (rehydrated in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 12 ounces whipped cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Toss in the grated carrots and coat with flour, making sure the carrots aren't clumped together.
- Stir in the eggs, sour cream and vegetable oil until a few streaks of dry mixture are still visible.
- Add the walnuts and raisins and fold in until the mixture is fully incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-75 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake and serve with walnuts to garnish.
- For Frosting: Whisk together the ingredients until the sugar is fully incorporated.
- Combine the grated carrots with the flour mixture to prevent the carrots from clumping together.
- Use grated zucchini for a zucchini bread variation of this cake.