Moist, dense cake is blanketed by a generous coating of whipped cream cheese frosting.
Classic Carrot Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (freshly grated)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoons alt
- 2 cups carrots (grated)
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 3/4 cups our cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup walnuts (roughly chopped, plus more for garnish)
- 3/4 cup golden raisins (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 12 ounces whipped cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease loaf pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out any excess flour.
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt, and whisk to combine. Add the grated carrots and toss to coat. Add the eggs, sour cream and vegetable oil, and stir to combine just until a few streaks of dry mixture are still visible. Add the walnuts and raisins, and fold to combine.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and place on the rack to cool completely. Spread frosting over the top of the cooled cake and top with walnuts.
- For the Frosting: In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt, and whip to combine
- Helpful Tips
1. Bake the cake in cupcake tins for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
2. Combine the grated carrots with the flour mixture to prevent the carrots from clumping together.
3. Use grated zucchini for a zucchini bread variation of this cake.