Carrot Cake with Walnuts and Raisins
Clinton Kelly's Classic Carrot Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon All Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups grated Carrots (packed)
- 3 large Eggs (whisked)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup Walnuts (roughly chopped plus more for garnish)
- 3/4 cup Golden Raisins (rehydrated in warm water for 10 minutes)
For the Frosting:
- 12 ounces Whipped Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt. Toss in the grated carrots and coat with flour, making sure the carrots aren't clumped together.
- Stir in the eggs, sour cream and vegetable oil until a few streaks of dry mixture are still visible. Add the walnuts and raisins and fold in until the mixture is fully incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake and serve with walnuts to garnish.
- For the Frosting: Whisk together the ingredients until the sugar is fully incorporated.