This Beef Stew Was a Julia Child Favorite for a Reason. It's Delicious!
- step-by-step directions
- bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion (chopped, substitute with 1 shallot)
- 1/4 Lb thick-cut bacon (diced)
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Lb stewing beef (cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 1/4 Cup red wine
- 1 1/2 Cup beef stock
- 1/2 Cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Cup carrots (chopped)
- 1 Cup peas (frozen and thawed)
- 1 Cup pearl onions (frozen and thawed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using kitchen twine, tie the bay leaf, thyme, and parsley together to make a bouquet garni.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and bacon. Cook until slightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove them from the pan, reserving the fat.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour to a large bowl. Add the beef and toss to coat. Shake off excess flour and add it to the Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper and cook until browned on all sides.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan as you pour. Add the hot stock, bouquet garni, mushrooms, carrots, pearl onions and peas, and reserved bacon and onion.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. When ready, serve.
- Tip: Can serve dish with your favorite mashed potato recipe.
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel
Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) with Chicken
Orecchiette with Sweet Sausage and Rapini
Lemon Coconut Sugar Cookies
Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
Fried Green Tomato and Pimento Cheese Pizza
Bacon and Cheddar Pierogies
Spring Chicken Stew
Veggie Fried Rice with Oyster Mushrooms
Salmon Burger with Dill and Cucumber