This Beef Stew Was a Julia Child Favorite for a Reason. It's Delicious!
- step-by-step directions
- bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion (chopped, substitute with 1 shallot)
- 1/4 Lb thick-cut bacon (diced)
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Lb stewing beef (cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 1/4 Cup red wine
- 1 1/2 Cup beef stock
- 1/2 Cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Cup carrots (chopped)
- 1 Cup peas (frozen and thawed)
- 1 Cup pearl onions (frozen and thawed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using kitchen twine, tie the bay leaf, thyme, and parsley together to make a bouquet garni.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and bacon. Cook until slightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove them from the pan, reserving the fat.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour to a large bowl. Add the beef and toss to coat. Shake off excess flour and add it to the Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper and cook until browned on all sides.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan as you pour. Add the hot stock, bouquet garni, mushrooms, carrots, pearl onions and peas, and reserved bacon and onion.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. When ready, serve.
- Tip: Can serve dish with your favorite mashed potato recipe.
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami