Looking for a dinner that's easy to make and delicious to eat? Try this eggplant parmesan recipe!For a printer-friendly version of this recipe, click on the print icon in the upper right corner
- step-by-step directions
- 2 medium Eggplants (cut lengthwise), 1 Jar good quality Tomato Sauce, 2 cups All-purpose Flour, 5 large Eggs, 3 1/2 cups Italian Breadcrumbs, 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 1 lb Fresh Mozzarella (thinly sliced), Salt and pepper, 1/4 cup (about 4 t
- Stir together flour, salt and pepper in a large dish. Lightly beat eggs in a second, high sided dish. Stir together breadcrumbs and 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano in a third shallow bowl. (think of the dishes this way: F-E-B [flour, egg, breadcrumbs])
- Heat a small amount oil in a non-stick skillet to medium-high heat.
- Working with 1 slice at a time, dredge eggplant in flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, letting excess drip off, and dredge in breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Transfer eggplant directly to hot oil. Note: Some people salt their eggplant before dipping in the F-E-B line-up. This is your choice.
- Fry eggplant 4 slices at a time, turning over once, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain.
- Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in bottom of a baking dish. Arrange about one third of eggplant slices in 1 layer over sauce, overlapping slightly if necessary. Cover eggplant with about one third of remaining sauce and one third of mozzarella. Continue layering with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, until cheese is melted and golden and sauce is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes. The most important thing is to have the cheese not burn.
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami