Give your regular margarita a kick!
Clinton Kelly's Spicy Grapefruit Margarita
- For the Spicy Salt:
- kosher salt
- 1 Habanero pepper (sliced)
- For the Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 habanero (sliced)
- For the Ice Cubes:
- habanero slices (from simple syrup recipe)
- 1 grapefruit (sliced into small wedges or quarters)
- For the Margarita:
- 2 ounce tequila
- 2 ounce fresh pink grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce orange liqueur
- 2 spicy ice cubes
- 1/2 - 1 ounce spicy simple syrup
- Spicy Salt
- For the Spicy Salt: Combine salt and pepper in a food processor. Ground together and set aside.
- For the Simple Syrup: In a small sauce pot add sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until sugar is diluted into the water.
- Add the habanero and steep for a few minutes.
- Strain out the habanero slices and reserve on a separate plate. Set aside the simple syrup for the cocktail.
- For the Ice Cubes: In each cavity of an ice cube tray add a slice of grapefruit and a slice of habanero pepper (reserved from making the simple syrup). Fill tray up with water and put into the freezer to solidify. When ready to make drink take out of freezer to use.
- For the Margarita: Dip glass in salt to cover the rim. Combine the tequila, grapefruit juice, orange liqueur and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Shake to combine and strain into a salted margarita glass. Add ice cubes and serve.