An American Classic With a Special Twist
Clinton Kelly's Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 Tblspn Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 can San Marzano Tomatoes crushed (28 oz can)
- 1 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tspn Sugar (Optional)
- In a blender or food processor, puree the tomatoes.
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the chopped onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, stirring frequently, cook one minute, then add the tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook at a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Season the soup - depending on the broth, it may need more or less salt.
- Stir in the cream and cook for an additional 5 minutes at a simmer. Do not boil, or the cream and tomatoes will separate. Taste soup and adjust seasoning, adding the sugar if the soup is too acidic, and serve with crusty bread.