Fried Ice Cream
Carla Hall and Daphne Oz's Coconut Cornflake Fried Ice Cream
- For the Ice Cream:
- 1 pint Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 pint Chocolate Sorbet
- 4 Egg Whites
- 2 cups Cornflakes (crushed)
- 2 cups Sweetened Coconut Flakes (toasted)
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
For the Serving Sauces:
- Melted Chocolate
- Caramel Sauce (warm)
- Whipped Cream
- toasted Walnuts
- Chocolate Chips
- Line a sheet tray with plastic wrap.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out round balls of each ice cream flavor and place on the prepared sheet tray. Place in the freezer for 1 hour, or until fully hardened.
- Combine the cornflakes and coconut flakes in a pie dish or casserole and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and, working quickly, add several ice cream balls to the egg whites. Remove with a slotted spoon or fork, and roll in the flakes. Return to the lined sheet tray. Once all the ice cream balls are coated, return to the freezer to set up, about 2 hour or overnight.
- Add the oil to a heavy bottomed pot about 2/3rds of the way full, and bring to 400 degrees over medium high heat. Place two to three balls in a metal spider, or large metal slotted spoon. Slowly drop the spider and balls into the oil and cook for 10 seconds. With the balls still on the spoon, remove from the oil and place in the serving dish. Season lightly with salt. Serve immediately with your choice of condiments.
Similar categories: Desserts