An adult twist on a classic dessert!
Daphne Oz's Coffee Banana Pudding
- For the Bananas Foster:
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 Bananas (cut in half lengthwise and then halved)
- 1 cup Coffee
- 1/2 cup Toasted Pecans (roughly chopped)
For the Pudding:
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 Eggs (separated)
- 2 tablespoons Butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 cups Crushed Vanilla Wafer Cookies
- Whipped Cream
- For the Bananas Foster: Melt butter, then stir in sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Once it is melted and combined add pecans and salt. Add the coffee and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan. As the mixture is boiling add the bananas. Cook until bananas are warmed through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For the Pudding: Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, salt, and flour in a medium bowl. Slowly stir milk into dry mixture.
- Put mixture in medium sauce pot and cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl, then briskly stir a small amount of the hot mixture (about 1/2 cup) into this mixture. Add egg yolk mixture back into the hot mixture in top of double boiler and stir in butter and vanilla. Cook until mixture thickens again. Set aside.
- For Assembly: To assemble, alternate layers of the pudding, bananas, and cookies in a trifle dish. Place into refrigerator to set up. Top with whipped cream before serving.