Need a recipe for a summer bbq? Michel's coffee infused chicken is just the ticket. Don't forget to try this with his delicious cole slaw recipe.
Coffee Barbecue Chicken
- 2 Lb Bone-in Skin-on Chicken Legs and Thighs (attached)
- Olive Oil (to brush grill)
- Coffee Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 small Yellow Onion (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Coriander Seeds (toasted)
- 1/2 Cup packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Cup Strong Coffee
- 1 Cup Spicy Ketchup
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon Chipotle Powder
- Sweat the onion in the olive oil with a good pinch of salt in a nonreactive 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the coriander, brown sugar, vinegar, and coffee and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the ketchup, tomato juice, and chipotle powder, and simmer for 2 hours. Strain, discard the solids, and let cool. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken on all sides with salt and freshly ground pepper. Brush the grill with olive oil, and arrange chicken on the grill, being mindful not to crowd the grill. Baste the chicken carefully with the barbecue sauce. Flip chicken after 5 to 6 minutes, and continue to baste. If chicken has not cooked through entire after 5 to 6 minutes, move it to a cooler part of the grill to finish.
- Serve with extra barbecue sauce.