The perfect summer side!
Daphne Oz's Corn Cakes
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter plus additional for brushing griddle (melted and cooled)
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Fresh or Frozen Corn
- 1/4 cup Chopped Spring Onion
- 1 Serrano Chile (seeded and minced)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Whisk together the butter, maple syrup, egg, and the buttermilk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients while constantly whisking. Once fully incorporated fold in corn, spring onion, chile and cheese.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat, and brush it with a little bit of the melted butter. Working in batches, drop 1/4-cup measures of the batter onto the griddle, and spread slightly to form 3 to 4-inch cakes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until they are golden, transferring the finished cakes to a platter or warm oven before serving.