Start your meal off with these fun fritters!
Carla Hall's Corn Fritters with Tomatillo Salsa
- For the Batter:
- 2/3 cup Cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Jack Cheese
- 3 Scallions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Corn Kernels
- 1/2 cup Fried Corn Chips (crushed)
- 2 Eggs
- Vegetable Oil (to fry)
For the Tomatillo Salsa:
- 1 1/2 pound Tomatillos (husked and washed)
- 2 Jalapenos
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 bunch Cilantro (leaves only)
- 1/2 White Onion (minced)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Olive Oil
- For the Batter: Preheat an inch of oil to 350F in a cast iron skillet.
- Combine the cornmeal, baking soda, paprika and salt in a bowl. Whisk in the buttermilk until smooth, and then fold in the jack cheese, scallions, corn kernels, and fried corn chips, and eggs until a chunky batter comes together.
- Using a spoon scoop out even size balls of batter and carefully drop into the oil. Let them fry until golden brown and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- For the Tomatillo Salsa: Preheat a grill or grillpan to medium-high and brush with olive oil.
- Grill the tomatillos and jalapenos until charred and softened, about 5 minutes per side. Allow them to cool. Cut the stems and skins off of the jalapenos.
- Put the tomatillos, jalapenos, onions and cilantro into a blender with a generous pinch of salt and the lime juice. Puree, and then pour into a bowl to serve with the corn fritters.
Similar categories: Appetizers, Starters & Snacks