Cornmeal Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe: These buttery, flaky biscuits are equally as divine when eaten alone or as the base for a sandwich.
Cornmeal Buttermilk Biscuits
- 3 cups All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Stoneground Cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 6 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 8 tablespoons cold Butter (cut into small dice)
- 8 tablespoons Shortening
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- Mix together dry ingredients and using a pastry cutter, add butter and shortening. Mix well, but leave fat in pea-size pieces. Fold in buttermilk and mix until dough can be handled. Do not overwork dough. Form dough into disk and wrap in plastic to chill for one hour.
- On floured surface, roll out dough to 3/4-inch thickness, cut into biscuits, and place on baking sheet pan. Allow cut biscuits to chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before baking. Cook at 400 degrees for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Yield: 36 biscuits (using a 2 3/4 inch ring cutter) 72 biscuits (3rd small ring)