This pancake sandwich has it all - mascarpone, bacon and pancakes. Don't think about it, just try it!
- For the Pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cup Stone Ground Cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 3 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (melted and cooled)
- Oil for cooking
- For the Mascarpone Filling:
- 12 Slices Bacon
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream (divided into two 1/4 cups)
- 2 Gelatin Sheets
- 2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup Mascarpone
- 3 tablespoons Pecans (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- For the Pancakes: Combine first five ingredients and sift into large bowl. Stir in cornmeal.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and butter in medium bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Heat griddle or small pan and grease with oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle per pancake. Cook until golden on each side. Rest on rack until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- For the Mascarpone Filling: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare basting mixture. Melt butter and briefly microwave maple syrup. Whisk together and add light brown sugar.
- Lay bacon out on racks and brush on basting mixture. Cook bacon for about 20 minutes or until crispy. Brush additional basting mixture onto bacon strips every 5 minutes.
- When bacon is done cooking and has cooled, chop or crumble into small pieces.
- Heat 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Whip the other 1/4 cup of cream until firm.
- Prepare the gelatin. Soak sheets in 2 cups of water to bloom. Once softened, take out of water and place into hot cream. Stir until dissolved and then strain.
- Temper the hot cream by stirring in a third of the whipped cream, then add the rest.
- Fold cream and gelatin mixture into mascarpone very gently. When smooth, fold in chopped pecans, crumbled bacon and maple syrup.
- To Assemble: Once pancakes have cooled slightly, place one on a plate. Scoop 1-2 big spoonfuls of mascarpone mixture onto pancake and spread into an even layer. Top with another pancake, and finish with another small, round scoop of mascarpone mixture and a swivel of maple syrup.