This pancake sandwich has it all - mascarpone, bacon and pancakes. Don't think about it, just try it!
- step-by-step directions
- For the Pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cup Stone Ground Cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 3 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (melted and cooled)
- Oil for cooking
- For the Mascarpone Filling:
- 12 Slices Bacon
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream (divided into two 1/4 cups)
- 2 Gelatin Sheets
- 2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup Mascarpone
- 3 tablespoons Pecans (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- For the Pancakes: Combine first five ingredients and sift into large bowl. Stir in cornmeal.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and butter in medium bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Heat griddle or small pan and grease with oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle per pancake. Cook until golden on each side. Rest on rack until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- For the Mascarpone Filling: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare basting mixture. Melt butter and briefly microwave maple syrup. Whisk together and add light brown sugar.
- Lay bacon out on racks and brush on basting mixture. Cook bacon for about 20 minutes or until crispy. Brush additional basting mixture onto bacon strips every 5 minutes.
- When bacon is done cooking and has cooled, chop or crumble into small pieces.
- Heat 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Whip the other 1/4 cup of cream until firm.
- Prepare the gelatin. Soak sheets in 2 cups of water to bloom. Once softened, take out of water and place into hot cream. Stir until dissolved and then strain.
- Temper the hot cream by stirring in a third of the whipped cream, then add the rest.
- Fold cream and gelatin mixture into mascarpone very gently. When smooth, fold in chopped pecans, crumbled bacon and maple syrup.
- To Assemble: Once pancakes have cooled slightly, place one on a plate. Scoop 1-2 big spoonfuls of mascarpone mixture onto pancake and spread into an even layer. Top with another pancake, and finish with another small, round scoop of mascarpone mixture and a swivel of maple syrup.
rate this recipe
Cheesy Garlic Donuts
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese
Jam & Gin
Bacon and Ramp Scrambled Eggs