These tasty muffins make a great appetizer or addition to any meal. See for yourself.
Cornmeal Muffins with Feta, Calamata Olives and Tomato Jam
- For the Corn Muffin:
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup feta (crumbled)
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives (chopped)
For the Tomato Jam:
- 2 pounds tomatoes (blanched and skins removed)
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon (juiced and zested)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- For the Corn Muffin: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Mix all the dry ingredients together, except the feta and olives.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine. Stir in the feta and olives.
- Scoop batter in greased muffin tin, filling only 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the Tomato Jam: Score and blanch the tomatoes, place in ice bath and remove skin.
- Place tomatoes, sugar, honey, lemon juice and zest, salt and red pepper flakes in a saucepan. Stir and bring to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Continue cooking until jam consistency. Put jam into a jar or use immediately.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Dinner Lunch Breakfast & Brunch Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads