A southern classic from the queen herself.
Country Captain Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Whole chicken (3.5 lbs.). (Rinsed/patted dry/cut into 8 pieces)
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 Large yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 Large green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 Clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Curry powder
- 1 Can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup Dried currants
- 3 Cups Cooked rice
- 1/2 Cup Slivered almonds (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Lightly sprinkle the chicken all over with salt and black pepper. Add to the skillet, skin side down. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and currants and bring to a boil. Taste and add some salt and/or black pepper if you think it needs it.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, skin side up, and transfer to the oven. Bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Cook the rice
- Serve over the rice and sprinkle with the slivered almonds.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Fried Chicken Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Cuisine Southern