Carla Hall's Country Greens
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 medium Onions (diced)
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 pounds Smoked Turkey Wings (cut into pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 cloves Garlic (Thinly Sliced)
- 3 tablespoons White Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 8 pounds Collard Greens
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Sauce
- Seasoned Vinegar (Vinegar with Habanero slices to taste)
- In large pot sauté onions in olive oil until caramelized. Season with salt. Add stock, turkey wings, red pepper, garlic, vinegar and sugar. Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Prepare greens: Cut stems off greens, then roll into a cigar. Cut the "cigar" in half lengthwise, then thinly cut , about 1/4" thick (leaving ribs in.) Wash greens well and drain.
- Add greens to the seasoned stock and let cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with red pepper sauce and vinegar, if desired.