Spinach with Fried Onions
Michael Symon's Creamed Spinach Pie
- 9 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 small Yellow Onion (minced)
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- freshly ground Black Pepper
- freshly ground Nutmeg (a pinch)
- 2 1/4 cups Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 24 ounces Spinach
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Gruyere
- 1/2 cup Fried Onions (store bought)
- Pre-Made Pie Crust
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Thaw dough then roll out to 1/8-inch thickness and press in to the bottom of an 8” pie pan. Place a piece of foil over the crust, trying to avoid creasing then pour dried beans or rice over the foil, about 1 cup. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and remove the foil with the beans/rice. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork then place back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so until the crust is light golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place a dutch oven over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the 8 tablespoons of butter followed by the onions and garlic with a large pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are tender and translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Next whisk in the flour, being sure to coat the onions. Cook for about 30 seconds then whisk in the milk. Season with salt and pepper and a little bit of fresh nutmeg. Bring the liquid to a gentle boil,whisking constantly, then reduce it to a simmer while you prepare your spinach.
- Place a large sauté pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When the butter has melted, add the spinach with a good pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Cook for a minute or two, until all of the spinach has wilted. Add the cooked spinach and parmesan to the cooked milk mixture and stir to thoroughly combine. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To assemble: Pour the creamed spinach in to the baked pie shell. Top with grated gruyere and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the spinach is bubbly and cheese is golden brown. Remove from oven and top with fried onions. Let sit for about 5 minutes, and then slice in to 6 to 8 pieces and serve.
Similar categories: Lunch