Creamy Farro Side
Mario Batali's Creamy Root Vegetable Farrotto
- 2 cups Farro
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil (plus more for finishing)
- 1 bunch Radishes (quartered)
- 1 Shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 Parsnips (peeled and julienned)
- 2 Garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Wine
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated; plus more for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- Bring the water and chicken stock to a boil in a medium stock pot and season with salt. Add the farro to the pot and cook for 18 minutes or 1 minute short of the package instructions. Drain. The grain should be cooked with a slightly chewy texture.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high in a large saute pan. Add the shallot and radish quarters and season with salt. Saute for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the radishes are caramelized and slightly firm inside.
- Add the parsnips and garlic and saute for about 1 minute, just until fragrant. Stir in the prepared farro.
- Deglaze with the white wine. Add the stock and cook until the stock is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmigiano and parsley. Drizzle with olive oil.