The Chew's Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 28- ounce cans San Marzano Tomatoes (whole and peeled)
- 1 large White Onion (sliced thinly)
- 8 Garlic cloves (peeled and smashed)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 sprigs fresh Thyme (leaves picked)
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup picked Basil Leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice. Cut the tomatoes in half. Toss in a medium size bowl with onions and garlic and about 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Salt and pepper liberally. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast until onions turn brown, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through to prevent burning.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to a large heavy bottomed pot. Add the stock and fresh thyme leaves. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Puree using an immersion blender.
- Add heavy cream and return to a simmer, but do not boil. Adjust the seasoning. Pour into bowls and top with a chiffonade of fresh basil.