Chestnut Crepes with Shiitakes and Prosciutto
Mario Batali's Crepe Quiche
- For the Chestnut Crepes:
- 1 cup Chestnut Flour
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- Butter (for pan)
For the Quiche Filling:
- Olive Oil
- 4 ounces Shiitake Mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 Shallot (sliced)
- 4 ounces Prosciutto (sliced into ribbons)
- 8 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- Chestnut Honey (to drizzle)
- 1/4 cup freshly Grated Parmigiano Reggiano (plus more to garnish)
- For the Chestnut Crepes: Place the two flours in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking to combine. Add the milk bit by bit and whisk to combine until all the milk is incorporated. Season with salt. Allow the batter to stand for 20 minutes to an hour.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick pan over high heat until hot and brush with the butter. Turn the heat down to medium and ladle batter into the pan to just coat bottom. Cook until pale golden on the bottom, about 1 minute. Flip and cook just 5 or 10 seconds on the second side. Remove and set aside. Continue the process until all the batter has been used. Reserve 5 crepes, and freeze the rest for another use.
- For the Quiche Filling: Preheat the oven to 350F. In a lightly oiled tart pan, arrange five crepes to cover the bottom of the pan with each of the crepes overhanging the edge by a few inches.
- In a large sauté pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil, and add shiitake mushrooms. Allow mushrooms to cook for 2 minutes without moving. Season with salt and add the shallots, tossing to coat in oil. Allow mushroom to cook until rich golden brown. Add the prosciutto and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes to lightly crisp the prosciutto.Drizzle chestnut honey all over the crepe lined tart pan.
- Whisk together the eggs and cream. Pour the egg mixture into the saute pan with the mushrooms and allow to cook for 1 minute, stirring with a silicon spatula. Transfer the egg mixture to the crepe-lined pan. Sprinkle a generous amount of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and then fold the overhanging crepes over the filling, leaving an open crown in the center.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and filling has set. Allow to cool slightly, drizzle with additional chestnut honey and garnish with more grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese before slicing and serving.