Ginger Cookies with Applesauce and Coconut Oil
Daphne Oz's Glazed Gingersnaps
- 2 1/2 cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1/4 cup Real Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup Coconut Oil (measured while solid; then melted)
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Natural Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Ginger
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the maple syrup, coconut oil, applesauce, molasses and ginger until incorporated. Gradually add in the dry mixture until the dough comes together. Form into 1-inch balls and arrange on a cookie sheet, evenly spaced.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until very dark, rotating halfway through cook-time. Cool on a wire rack, and use a pastry brush to lightly glaze.
- For the Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners sugar, cardamom and lemon juice. Mix until liquid, adding a small amount more water if necessary.
Similar categories: Desserts