Crispy Chicken Wings
Serve wings with the sauce of your choice. Think: a cayenne spiced oil, maple buffalo sauce, or coconut-soy sauce.
- step-by-step directions
Crispy Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds Chicken Wings (separated at joint)
- 4 cups Vegetable Oil (plus extra)
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
For Carla's Spiced Oil:
- 6 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons Cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
For Daphne's Maple Buffalo Sauce:
- 1 cup Red Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/4 cups Maple Syrup
For Mario's Filipino Adobo Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Palm Sugar Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Serrano Chiles (chopped)
- 1 bunch Scallions (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
- 1/4 cup Basil Leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Leaves (chopped)
- Place a cast iron pan over medium high heat and add 4 cups of vegetable oil. Using a deep fry thermometer to monitor the temperature, allow the oil to heat to 320 F.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Spread the wings out on a baking tray and season liberally with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until just about cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- In the meantime, prepare wing sauce of choice. When your oil has reached 360 F, add wings to oil and deep fry until golden and crispy, working in batches. Remove them and place onto paper towels and season them with salt. Place them in a bowl; pour prepared sauce over the top, then mix to evenly to coat all of the wings. Repeat with remaining wings and sauce. Serve hot wings with your favorite accompaniments.
- For Carla's Spiced Oil: Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Add cayenne, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, garlic powder and sugar. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and coat hot, fried wings.
- For Daphne's Maple Buffalo Sauce: Combine maple syrup, hot sauce, butter and 2 teaspoons of salt in a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and stir to melt butter and combine ingredients. Transfer to a large bowl and coat hot, fried wings.
- For Mario's Filipino Adobo Sauce: Combine the vinegars, fish sauce, soy sauce, serrano peppers, scallions, brown sugar, basil and cilantro, whisking together in a large bowl until fully combined. Toss the wings to coat and serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Chicken Wings Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Spicy Appetizers Snacks Holidays & Occasions Game Day Foods
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat