Three Cheese Panini
Michael Symon's Crispy Grilled Cheese with Blue Cheese Fondue
- For the Simple:
- 12 slices Pullman Loaf Bread
- 2 cups Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- 8 tablespoons Butter (softened)
For the Special:
- 1/2 cup Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
For the Spectacular:
- Blue Cheese Fondue:
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/4 cups Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 cup Blue Cheese (crumbled)
- Red Chili Flakes (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- For the Simple: Preheat panini press to medium.
- Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Sprinkle 1/3 cup gruyere cheese on the plain side of 6 pieces of bread. Top with the remaining bread, buttered-sides on top and bottom. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes in the panini press until golden and crispy. Remove from heat, cut and serve.
- For the Special: Mix the remaining gruyere and parmigiano-reggiano in a small bowl and sprinkle on the top side of the sandwich. Cook in the preheated panini press until golden and crispy. Remove from heat, cut and serve.
- For the Spectacular: In a medium sauce pot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat until golden. Ladle in the milk and keep whisking. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until creamy. Remove from heat. Grate in the nutmeg. Fold the bleu cheese into the sauce, add the chili flakes, if using, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.