Michael Symon's Crispy Grilled Cheese with Blue Cheese Fondue
Three Cheese Panini
Stick with the traditional grilled cheese or amp it up with a special blue cheese fondue.
- For the Simple:
- 12 slices Pullman Loaf Bread
- 2 cups Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- 8 tablespoons Butter (softened)
- For the Special:
- 1/2 cup Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
- Blue Cheese Fondue:
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/4 cups Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 cup Blue Cheese (crumbled)
- Red Chili Flakes (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
Michael's Crispy Grilled Cheese
For the Simple: Preheat panini press to medium.
8 tablespoons Butter (softened)
12 slices Pullman Loaf Bread
2 cups Gruyere Cheese (grated)
Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Sprinkle 1/3 cup gruyere cheese on the plain side of 6 pieces of bread. Top with the remaining bread, buttered-sides on top and bottom. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes in the panini press until golden and crispy. Remove from heat, cut and serve.
1/2 cup Gruyere Cheese (grated)
1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
For the Special: Mix the remaining gruyere and parmigiano-reggiano in a small bowl and sprinkle on the top side of the sandwich. Cook in the preheated panini press until golden and crispy. Remove from heat, cut and serve.
2 tablespoons Butter
2 tablespoons Flour
1 1/4 cup Milk
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly grated)
1 cup Blue Cheese (crumbled)
Red Chili Flakes (optional)
Salt and Pepper
For the Spectacular: In a medium sauce pot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat until golden. Ladle in the milk and keep whisking. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until creamy. Remove from heat. Grate in the nutmeg. Fold the bleu cheese into the sauce, add the chili flakes, if using, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
1. You can use either a grill pan or a Panini press for this recipe.
2. When making a roux, add equal parts butter and flour.
3. Substitute any soft cheese in the fondue recipe.