Creamy Vegetable Casserole with Shallots and Garlic
Carla Hall's Crispy Shallot Green Bean Casserole
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- 4 Shallots (divided; 1 chopped - 3 thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 envelope Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 1/2 pounds Green Beans (end trimmed)
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Flour (divided)
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Heat vegetable oil for frying. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and seasoning liberally with salt.
- Place the thinly sliced shallots in a medium bowl and pour buttermilk over to coat. Toss shallots to separate pieces and completely coat.
- In another bowl or shallow dish, whisk together 1 cup of flour, Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning Mix, and cayenne just until combined.
- Remove some shallots from the buttermilk and dredge in the seasoned flour mixture. Shake off excess flour and gently place in the heated oil. Fry until golden and crispy, about 1 minute. Using a heat proof slotted spoon or spider, remove the shallots to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt to taste. Fry remaining shallots in batches.
- Prepare a large bowl with water and ice along with a strainer. Cook the green beans in the seasoned water for 1 minute then remove and immediately plunge into the ice bath. Allow beans to cool completely then remove to a paper towel lined plate to dry.
- While the beans are cooling and drying, melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the chopped shallots and season with salt. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan and stir to coat shallots and garlic. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock, whisking out any lumps. Whisk in the half and half and season to taste. Simmer for 2 minutes or just until thickened. Stir in cheese and remove from heat.
- Combine the beans and onions sauce into a 9x9 casserole dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Liquid should reduce and thicken. Remove from oven and top with your Crispy Shallots. Cool slightly before serving.