Legendary chef and restauranteur Daniel Boulud is known throughout the world for creating meals that people remember for the rest of their lives. Now you can try one of his dishes, right in your own kitchen!
- step-by-step directions
- Bechamel Sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Cups whole milk
- Pinch of freshly grate nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 8 slices high-quality Pullman loaf bread (sliced 1/3-1/2-inch thick, very lightly toasted)
- 12 oz thickly sliced Jambon de Paris (high-quality wet-cured ham)
- 10 oz Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 eggs
- Chopped chives
- For the béchamel: In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and whisk in the flour until blended but not colored. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside. (May be made up to 24 hours ahead of time and stored, refrigerated, with a layer of plastic wrap placed directly on surface of sauce; gently reheat before serving.)
- For the sandwiches: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and brush with melted butter.
- On a work surface, place bread slices in a single layer and spread each one evenly to the edges with béchamel; all the béchamel may not be needed. Divide ham among four of the slices, trimming it if necessary so it is within 1/4 inch of edges. Top all eight slices with equal amounts of cheese, spreading it evenly to within 1/4 inch of edges.
- Place four bread slices with béchamel and cheese, cheese side up, on top of slices layered with ham. Transfer sandwiches, cheese side up, onto sheet pan. Bake until grated cheese topping is melted and golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- For fried eggs: Fry eggs in pan with butter.
- Top sandwiches with a fried egg, garnish with pepper and some chopped chives and serve immediately.
Similar categories: Ingredients Pork Courses & Meals Lunch Breakfast & Brunch Sandwiches Cuisine French
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami