Warm up with a bowl of this hearty soup.
Daphne Oz's Butternut Squash Soup
- For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoon Grated Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 Cardamom Cloves
- 4 cup Butternut Squash (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (diced)
- 3 cup Water
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- For the Spiced Pecan Garnish:
- 1 cup Raw Pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Agave
- For the Soup: In a dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onions, cardamom cloves and garlic, cooking until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the carrots, apple, butternut squash and spices, stirring to coat all sides, remove the cardamom cloves, season with salt and pepper, and then add the water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer, and cover partially.
- Cook until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Adjust seasonings if necessary, and puree in batches until smooth. Serve garnished with spiced pecans.
- For the Spiced Pecans: Thoroughly mix together all ingredients except the pecans.
- In a dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast the pecans, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about a minute.
- Remove from heat, and carefully add the spiced mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Allow to cool.