You favorite treat, just healthier!
Daphne's Coconut Oil Onion Rings
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon instant mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup club soda
- 2-3 cup whole wheat Japanese bread crumbs
- fine salt to taste
- 2-3 medium onions (cut 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings)
- Coconut oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme and flax meal.
- Stir in 1 cup club soda
- Allow to sit while cutting onions. Mixture will thicken.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a second shallow dish.
- Fill heavy bottomed pot with 2" of coconut oil and heat to 365 degrees.
- Dip onion ring into batter and coat well, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Drop onion rings immediately into hot oil. Brown on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on wire rack over sheet pan and sprinkle immediately with salt.