- step-by-step directions
- 1-1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1-1/2 cup Half-and-Half
- 2 tablespoons fresh Parsley (minced)
- 2 Quarts Vegetable Broth
- 3 sprigs Thyme leaves (finely chopped)
- 4 sprigs Parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 Celery Stalk (finely chopped)
- 1 can Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- For the Dumplings: Sift together all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add half-and-half, stirring gently to combine. Set Aside.
- For the Broth: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté carrot, celery, onion with a few torn sprigs of fresh thyme and parsley. Sauté ingredients until softened and golden brown. Deglaze the bottom of the pan with apple cider, then add the chickpeas and bay leaf. Stir together, and then begin to add the broth. Once fully added, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a tablespoon to roughly scoop out dough, and drop tablespoons of dumpling dough into the simmering pot. Add minced parsley. Cover pot halfway and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Check seasoning and add salt if needed.