Too bad my dad???s birthday falls in the same week as Father???s Day???His all time favorite gift is homemade German Chocolate cake, but none of us can handle eating it more than once a week! Still, the recipe is pretty amazing.
German Chocolate Cake
- Devil’s food cake (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 oz (1 stick) sweet unsalted butter
- 4 oz unsweetened coconut
- 4 oz chopped pecans
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Place the evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and butter in a double boiler and whisk together over simmering water for 30 minutes. Stir every two minutes until thick.
- At this point, add the coconut and pecans.
- Continue to cook for 5 more minutes, and then allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir in.
- Allow to cool fully and spread over cake layers.