Since we are usually up in Maine for Fourth of July weekend with the whole family?all 31 of us!?, we like to make it a special occasion with a big brunch on Sunday morning, headlined by my mother?s delicious Maine Wild Blueberry Pancakes.
Maine Wild Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 cup Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon melted Butter
- 1/2 cup fresh Maine Wild Blueberries
- 1 cup Maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Beat egg until light and fluffy, and then stir into the dry mixture, along with buttermilk and butter, until blended (watch out for clumps!).
- Fold in blueberries.
- Make sure griddle is hot (a pat of butter or coconut oil should sizzle on the surface).
- Spoon half a ladle of batter for each pancake onto the griddle and allow to cook until underside is golden brown (check at 4 minutes).
- The trick to keeping pancakes light and fluffy is to only flip once. When the first side is golden brown, use a spatula to flip each pancake. Allow the second side to toast, and your ready to go!
- To make the butter syrup: Heat 1 cup maple syrup together with 3 tablespoons butter for the perfect topping.