A Quick, Inexpensive and Nutritious Breakfast!
Poached Eggs with Sweet Potato Pancakes
Sweet Potato Pancakes:
- 1 sweet potato (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 onion (grated)
- 1/2 apple (grated)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 2 egg whites (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons alt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper olive oil (to fry)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 fresh eggs (or more to serve)
- For the Sweet Potato Pancakes: Place a cheese cloth or clean kitchen towel inside a large strainer. Place the grated sweet potato, onion, apple and carrot into the cheese cloth. Squeeze the grated produce in cheese cloth or towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, add the rung out potatoes, onion, apple and carrots. Add the egg whites, flour, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. In a medium-sized skillet, heat about a 1/3 cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Drop enough pancake mix into hot oil to make 2 1/2-3 inch pancakes. Add more oil, as needed, and fry pancakes in batches until golden on each side, about 7 minutes total. Set aside and keep warm.
- For the Poached Eggs: Fill a wide, 3-quart saucepan halfway with water. Add vinegar and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Break one egg into a small bowl or cup. Slide egg into water. Repeat with each egg, spacing them evenly in saucepan. Keep the water just under a simmer and poach eggs until whites are firm and yolks are still runny, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve Sweet Potato Pancakes with Poached Eggs on top.