Daphne Oz's Poached Eggs With Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 1 - 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 5 fresh eggs
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet potato peeled and grated
- 1/2 onion grated
- 1/2 apple grated
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 egg whites lightly beaten
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a wide 3-quart heavy saucepan, fill: 1/2 way with water and add 1 to 2 tablespoon vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Into a small bowl or cup, Break: 1 egg and slide egg into water. Repeat with each remaining egg, spacing them evenly in saucepan, and poach at a bare simmer until whites are firm and yolks are still runny, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer eggs as cooked to paper towels using a slotted spoon.
- Sweet Potato Pancakes: In a medium-sized skillet, Heat: 1/3 cup olive oil to medium-high heat.
Grate the sweet potatoes, onion, apple and carrot. Ring out the shavings in a cheese cloth or paper towel (this is to ensure the pancakes won't be soggy). Then in a large bowl, place shredded sweet potatoes, grated onion, grated apple, grated carrot, 2 egg whites and 1/4 cup flour. Then add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
- In a medium-sized skillet, Combine and drop: enough batter into hot oil to make 2 1/2-3 inch pancakes. Add more oil, as needed, and fry cakes in batches until golden on each side.