Braised French Stew
Mario Batali's Daube
- 6 ounces Bacon (chopped)
- 3 pounds Beef Chuck (cut into 3-inch pieces)
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 ribs Celery (1/2-inch dice)
- 4 Carrots (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 2 Onions (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 head Garlic (cut through the equator)
- 1 Orange (zested in large strips)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/2 bunch Parsley (stems only; leaves reserved to garnish)
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 cups Dry Red Wine
- 1/4 cup Brandy
- 1 ball Pizza Dough
- Preheat oven to 265 degrees F. Place bacon into a Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Cook until fat has rendered and remove bacon.
- Cut beef into 3-inch cubes. Season beef pieces and brown on all sides, 6 or 7 pieces at a time. Remove to a plate and set aside. When meat is browned, add celery, carrots, onions, garlic head, orange zest, cinnamon, herbs, red wine, and brandy and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add meat back to pan. Stretch the pizza dough over the dutch oven. Cover with the dutch oven's lid and seal, cook 5 hours.
- Remove and crack crust. Garnish with reserved parsley leaves and serve.