Irresistible Key Lime Pie
Carla Hall's Decadent Key Lime Pie
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups Graham Crackers (ground)
- 1/2 cup Butter (melted)
For the Filling:
- 1 14- ounce Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup Key Lime Juice
- 5 Egg Yolks
- pinch salt
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup Key Lime Juice
- 1/4 ounce Unflavored Gelatin Powder
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
- 2 Egg Whites (whipped to medium peak)
- For the Crust: Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, pour the melted butter over the graham cracker crumbs and a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly and then press into a 9-inch pie plate. Blind bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the Filling: Combine the filling ingredients and a small pinch of salt and mix well. Pour into the pie shell and bake until set, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature then transfer to the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours and up to a week covered.
- For the Topping: Bloom the gelatin in the lime juice in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Combine water, sugar, corn syrup in a small saucepot, and bring up to 240F, about 5 to 6 minutes over medium high heat. Once hot, carefully whip the hot mixture into the lime juice and gelatin mixture. Increase to medium high speed and continue whipping until it thickens and forms medium peaks, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg whites to medium peak. Once combined, gently fold in the egg whites until combined. Decorate cake immediately using the meringue, cut and serve.