The Deen family shares one of their favorite low-calorie treats.
Caramelized Pear Dutch Baby
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 firm ripe Bartlett pears (cored and cut into thin wedges)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoon butter (melted)
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat the oil in medium cast-iron or ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the pears, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and the cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pears are tender and most of liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the flour in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, egg white, melted butter, nutmeg, salt, and the remaining granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Add to the flour mixture, whisking until blended and smooth. Pour the batter over the pear mixture.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, 35 – 30 minutes. Cool the pancake in the skillet on rack 10 minutes. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and cut into 6 wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.