Spicy Shrimp with Quinoa and Beet Greens
Eduardo Garcia's Devil's Shrimp
- For the Devil's Shrimp:
- 2 pounds Jumbo Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Salt (We used a sugar; orange peel and Chile salt blend)
- 1 tablespoon Picante Salt (We used a jalapeño; garlic and oregano salt blend)
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Shrimp Broth
- 2 tablespoons Agave Syrup
- 6 Garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 3 Green Onions (rough chop the white portions into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 Green Onion Tops (sliced)
- 1/8 cup toasted White Sesame Seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons favorite Cooking Oil (coconut oil recommended)
- 1/2 Lemon
For the Quinoa:
- 2 cups Quinoa
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth (water is fine)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the Beet Greens:
- 4 cups thick shredded Beet Greens (or favorite winter green)
- 2 Garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Chile Salt
For the Shrimp Stock:
- 1/2 pound Shrimp Shells
- 1 quart fresh Water
- 1 Carrot (roughly chopped)
- 1 White Onion (chopped)
- 2 Celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Black Peppercorn
- 3-4 Bay Leaves
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- For the Devil's Shrimp: In a medium bowl, whisk tomato paste, both salts, apple cider vinegar, broth, and agave until well combined; reserve for later.
- Over medium-high heat, add oil. Once hot, add shrimp and sauté until seared, 1 minute. Add green onion, garlic, bay leaves and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add reserved sauce, stir for 30 seconds, lower heat to medium-low, cook until sauce is reduced and shrimp is cooked all the way through, about 2 minutes. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and garnish with sesame seeds.
- For the Quinoa: Rinse Quinoa well, bring to a boil with salt and broth. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cook covered until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with fork, and cover until ready to serve.
- For the Beet Greens: In a medium heat in your favorite large sauté skillet, add oil to melt. Add greens and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and salt, sauté for another minute. Fold greens into Quinoa.
- Divide greens and quinoa evenly among 8 pasta bowls. Spoon Shrimp and some sauce over the quinoa/greens. Garnish with reserved sliced green onion tops and sesame seeds.
- For the Shrimp Stock: Sauté shells in oil for 1 minute on high heat. Add veggies, peppercorn, and bay leaves and sauté for 1 minute. Add water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and use.