Warm up with a bowl of Matzoh Ball soup this Passover.
Egg Drop Soup with Mini Matzoh Balls
- Matzoh Balls:
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup rendered chicken fat (melted)
- 1/2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for egg whites
- 1 cup matzoh meal
- 1 teaspoons salt
Egg Drop Soup:
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- For the Mini Matzoh Balls: Whisk together the egg yolks, chicken stock, chicken fat, parsley and salt. Stir in the matzoh meal. n the bowl of an electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they reach stiff peaks. Fold the whites into the matzoh mixture. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 15 minutes, or until the mixture is thick.
- Form balls the size of large grapes using a teaspoon to scoop heaping spoonfuls. Dip your hands in water and then roll until smooth.
- For the Egg Drop Soup: Heat five of the cups of chicken stock in a large pot. Set one cup aside. Simmer the matzoh balls in the chicken stock for about 15 minutes, or until fully cooked and puffed, turning in the stock to ensure even cooking. In a large bowl, combine the cup of chicken broth, egg, parsley and nutmeg. Whisk until well blended. Once the chicken stock is at a simmer, pour in the chicken stock and egg mixture, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.