Dig into this tasty Italian treat!
Mario Batali's Eggplant Parm Stacks
- 2 large purple eggplants (sliced in 1 inch rounds)
- 1 head of garlic cloves (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 cup Mario's classic tomato sauce
- 1 .5 balls of mozzarella (sliced into 1/4 in rounds)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoons chili flake
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus 1/4 cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay out eggplant rounds on cookie sheets (lined with foil for easier clean up) in single layers. Cut 2-3 slits per round, large enough to stuff a garlic slice into each slit. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast until soft and cooked completely, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix bread crumbs, thyme and chili flakes together. Heat saute pan over medium heat and add 1/4 cup olive oil. Once hot, add bread crumb mixture and toast until golden brown. Remove bread crumbs from pan onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Remove eggplant from oven and let cool just slightly, enough so you can handle. Reuse a cookie sheet and build stacks of eggplant parm. Begin with a slice of eggplant and layer with 2-3 leaves of basil, smear with a couple tablespoons of tomato sauce and top with a slice of mozzarella. Build two layers tall and top with breadcrumbs.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the eggplant stacks back into the oven and cook 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread crumbs are toasted.