Michael Symon's Eggs in Avocado with Tomato and Basil
- 2 Avocados
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 cup fresh Basil leaves (torn)
- 1 Lime (grated zest and juice)
- Put a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Halve each avocado lengthwise. Peel and pit the halves. Using a spoon, scoop out some of the avocado where the pits were to form a donut hole that goes clear through each half. Lay the avocados out on a cutting board, top with plastic wrap, and gently press down to slightly flatten the pieces. The idea is to make thick but flat slices, each with a hole in the center. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- To the preheated pan, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the avocado slices cut-sides down and cook until they begin to brown, about 1 minute. Flip the avocados and carefully crack 1 egg into each hole. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the egg whites have set up but the yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the tomatoes, basil, lime zest and juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each avocado and egg with some tomato salad and serve.