Viewer Deedra Iandoli can't get enough of her favorite breakfast and once you try it you'll understand why.
Sunday Eggs Caprese Breakfast Sandwich
- For the Sandwich:
- 2 slices of Semolina Bread
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cat of Butter
- 2 slices of Prosciutto (sliced thin)
- 1 thick slice of Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 slice of Large Beefsteak Tomato
- 1 Egg
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 For the Pesto: tablespoon For the Pesto: Basil paste or Fresh Pesto (Mario Batali's recipe) For the Pesto:
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup fleshly grated Parmigiana
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino
- 10 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- For the Sandwich: Slice tomato and mozzarella in thick slices, set aside.
- Slice semolina bread into thick slices.
- In a frying pan heat approximately 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pat of butter, when warm place two slices of bread in the pan and toast on each side.
- In a separate pan, fry an egg (or two if you are really hungry) over easy add salt and pepper to taste.
- When your bread is toasted place one slice on a plate and spread some pesto onto the bread, add a slice mozzarella and one egg so the mozzarella gets warm. Add prosciutto and a slice of tomato. Spread the other slice of bread with more pesto and put two slices together to form your breakfast sandwich.
- For the Pesto: In a large stone mortar, place pine nuts, basil, garlic and salt. Grind with a pestle until paste. Add cheeses and drizzle in olive oil. Store in jars topped with a very thin coating of extra virgin olive oil to just cover the pesto.