Baked Eggs in Tomato Sauce
Antoinette's Eggs in Purgatory
- 4 Extra Large Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup fresh Ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh Parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon sharp imported Provolone (grated)
- 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
- sharp Provolone for shaving
- 4 pieces seeded Italian Loaf (cut on bias about 1/2-3/4 inch thick)
- salted Butter for toast
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- sweet Basil to garnish
- Preheat broiler. In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, parsley, provolone, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a oven-safe medium non-stick skillet over medium with butter until melted and foam subsides. Crack the eggs into the pan and fry on one side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and flip eggs. Top with large spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture, spoonfuls of the marinara and top with freshly shaved provolone. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook just to melt the cheese. Make sure not to overcook the eggs. The yolk should still be runny. Toast the sliced bread in the oven while the eggs are baking.
- Remove both from the oven and butter the toast. Plate each egg on a piece of toast. Sprinkle fresh pepper and chopped sweet basil to garnish.
Similar categories: Breakfast & Brunch