Show your mom that you really care this Mother's Day with this light and fresh dish from Mario Batali.
4 Minute Eggs with Spring Vegetable Salad
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas
- 1/4 pound asparagus (woody ends trimmed)
- 1/4 pound English peas (shelled)
- 1 bunch mint leaves (torn)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 5 radishes (thinly sliced)
- Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath.
- Blanch the sugar snap peas, asparagus and English peas separately. Drop the vegetables into the boiling water for about 2 minutes or until vegetables are bright and slightly tender, then immediately straining from the boiling water and transferring to an ice bath to stop the cooking process Set blanched vegetables aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the eggs and boil for exactly 4 minutes. Remove eggs to ice bath and let cool.
- Peel the eggs and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, mustard, a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the olive in a thin stream, whisking until incorporated.
- Toss the vegetables in the vinaigrette and add mint.
- Divide salad between four dishes and serve with a 4-minute egg on top. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Tip: Poach or fry an egg over-easy for a similar effect. The whites will be cooked and the yolks remain runny.
- Use a paring knife to clean the sugar snap peas. Remove the tip and pull off the tough string running along the inside of the pea.