This sandwich is full of flavor!
Elisabeth Hasselbeck's BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Red Cabbage Mango Slaw
- For the Red cabbage mango slaw:
- 1/4 cup gluten-free light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head red cabbage (shredded)
- 2 medium mangoes (peeled, pitted and shredded)
For the BBQ Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 bone-in (skin-on chicken breasts)
- 1 cup prepared gluten-free barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 8 5- inch gluten-free corn tortillas warm or 4 gluten-free sandwich buns (for serving)
- Make the slaw: Place the mayonnaise, yogurt, honey, vinegar, salt & black pepper in a large bowl & whisk until well combined. Add the red cabbage and the mangoes. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare the chicken: Heat a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the olive or canola oil, onion, and the chicken breasts, skin side down. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes, as the chicken browns. Add the barbecue sauce and the honey. Cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 35-40 mins, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce, and remove and discard the skin and bones. Shred the meat with a fork and return it along with the butter to the sauce, and stir well to coat.
- Serve with the slaw on tortillas or mini buns.