A gluten free treat!
Elisabeth Hasselbeck's Orange Cream Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free orange extract
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- For the icing:
- 1 8- oouce package gluten-free reduced fat cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten-free light sour cream
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown rice flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and canola oil together with an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until a thick, smooth yellow mixture forms.
- Combine the orange zest, orange juice, and orange extract with the milk in a small bowl. Add half of the milk mixture to the egg mixture and beat on low speed until well combined. Add half of the flour mixture and beat just until combined. Repeat with the remaining milk and flour mixtures. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until the cupcakes spring back when the tops are pressed or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin and let them cool completely on a wire rack
- Make the icing: in a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth. Gradually beat in the sour cream.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, use a small spatula or butter knife to spread the icing over the tops. Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.