French Toast with Walnuts, Apples, and Dried Cranberries
Mama T's Fabulous French Toast
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 stick Butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon (divided) plus more to sprinkle
- 3 Granny Smith Apples (peeled; cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 Italian Loaf (without seeds 1" thick slices)
- 6 Eggs (whisked)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch freshly Nutmeg (plus more to sprinkle)
- Powdered Sugar to garnish
- Maple Syrup to garnish
- Whipped Cream to garnish
- In a large bowl stir together the sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until combined. Add the sliced apples, cranberries and walnuts and toss to coat. Spread into an even layer in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Loosely shingle a layer of sliced bread into the dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture over the bread. Cover with aluminum foil and allow to set in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the dish from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking. Lift off foil and sprinkle with reserved cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg over top and return foil to cover.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake dish for 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil cover and return to the oven to bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly crispy on top but not dry.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before cutting. Serve with powdered sugar and syrup or freshly whipped cream.